Pine City Horizons Board Meeting Minutes Monday, September 20, 2010 5pm at Horizons/Chamber Office
Purpose: Sustain the vision of building prosperity, reducing poverty-keep the fire alive and coordinate work team activities in the community.
Vision: Welcome to Pine City where people live, work and play. Our beautiful city offers many recreational choices, community events and an active arts community. Youth are healthy, active and drug-free and part of a positive multi-generational culture. Energy is renewable and sustainable. We welcome change that makes our community better and we welcome you to visit or stay and live here with us.
Present: Jenny Erdmann (Co-chair), Lezlie Sauter (PR), Wendy Johnson (Co-Chair), Jan
Nettleton, Nathan Johnson, Becky Maki (Treasurer) & Sean Stevens (Note-Taker).
Learning About….No learning events on this months agenda
August Meeting Minutes: Approved
Work Team Reports:
• Everything Pine City: Awaiting branding recommendations to tailor look of kiosk. Continue
to make suggestions to Information Guide for style & content. Next meeting=10/13, 5pm
• Youth: Met with AmeriCorps volunteer with Kettle Kinship in consideration of partnering with
them for mentoring. Next meeting=10/7, after ECC meeting which begins at 3:15pm.
• People Helping People Prosper: Last work team meeting was spent prioritizing work plans. Homelessness,MicroloansandOCCweretoponthelist. Jenny Erdmann and Wendy Johnson have been very active with quickly approaching OCC (Oct 26). 80 letters for donations were recently sent out and will need follow up calls soon. 9 vendors on board to date. Wendy is working with local churches for donations. She also wondered about asking for help with facebook. Sean updated the Board on Family Pathways and questioned whether PC Horizons should appeal to Family Pathways to participate in programming in PC, instead of just raising funds here. Next meeting=10/7, 5pm.
• Pop Vox Video: Video is shot, Sean will send out the final edit when completed
• School Drive: Served 53 families, 122 kids. The remaining supplies went to ALC, CLC and
then on to OCC
• Pioneer Article: Many Horizons members were interviewed and Judy will have article out next
• Community Garden Fencing: Board suggested Ryan, Mike and Aaron as possible volunteers
for this quick project. Becky Maki also suggested the Area Learning Center. Sean also wanted
to price a sign for this area & the Board agreed to look at pricing.
• Funding Requests/Reimbursements: A request was made of the Board to consider its
system for funding requests and reimbursements. Board agrees that two signers should be available in case of absence of a single member (Wendy Johnson is 2nd signer). Sean will draft a form and research a policy for funding requests. Treasurer will provide a balance report at each meeting. Additionally, a request was made of the Board to reimburse Jenny Erdmann for postage used to mail donation requests for OCC. Board votes to approve request.
• Laptop: Board is interested in attaining a laptop for Horizons/public use. Sean will research opportunities to attain this from grants, Pine Tech or manufacturers.
• Homeless Shelter: Board is interested in investigating the use of the old Sherriff’s office as a shelter and partnering with an existing program to run it. Sean and Nathan will report at next meeting.
• Comprehensive Plan: Horizons will present information at the City Open House as to its perspective on Comp plan. Goals and Strategies? Board mentions Housing as a chief concern, especially high rents as mentioned in recent Pioneer article. Lezlie Sauter will provide material from previous meetings on this topic.
9/25 Horizons Regional Training Workshop @ NW Fur Post, 830am to 530pm
10/26 Operation Community Connect @ Lighthouse Church, 10am to 6pm
10/27 Pine City Comprehensive Planning Open House