Purpose: Sustain the vision of building prosperity, reducing poverty – keep the “fire alive”- and coordinate Work Team activities in the community.
Vision: Welcome to Pine City where people live, work and play. Our beautiful city offers many recreational choices, community events and an active arts community. Youth are healthy, active and drug-free and a part of a positive multi-generational culture. Energy is renewable & sustainable. We welcome change that makes our community better and we welcome you to visit or stay and live here with us.
Present: Kris Engh, Jenny Erdmann, Marcia Howard, Nathan Johnson, Wendy Johnson, Becky Maki, Jan Nettleton, Sydney Rydberg-Olson and Sean Stevens.
Absent: Kathy Doenz, Jennifer Peterson, Lezlie Sauter, Becky Schueller and Joe Wolf.
Congratulations Lezlie and Jonah Sauter on the birth of their beautiful baby girl, Amelia Sauter.
Learning About…..Introduction of Sean Stevens, VISTA
A brief over-view of PC Horizons was presented by various members. Sean said he would like to get some historical information about the PC Horizons to familiarize himself with our successes and the community involvement of the program. He is also in need of a contact list for each of the Horizon Work Teams and the Horizon Team. He said he was excited about his position and thought his experience of being a VISTA worker in the past would be a benefit to the PC Horizons and the City of Pine City. Jenny will contact Lezlie for the contact list and present a historical binder to Sean and Joe Wolf.
June Meeting minutes: Approved
Work Team Reports (Activity since last meeting)
• Everything Pine City: Nothing to report.
• Looking Forward – Youth: Becky Maki spoke of Kinder Camp the week of July 26th and how she would be willing to pass out flyers for Jan/Kris on the School Supply drive. Jan/Kris will get her a flyer.
• People Helping People Prosper: This group is working on combining their Work Team Plan (PC Prospers and People Helping People). Jenny will be handing out copies of the Passbook, with e-mail contacts to form sub-committees on the various projects this group has been working on. This group has also changed their meeting night, they will begin meeting on the 1st Thursday of the month, starting with September 2nd. The August meeting will be on August 12th.
A New board year starting, who will be rejoining for August,
The voting of new board members will occur at the August 16th meeting. HT board members will notify their Horizon Work Teams, for those who might be interested in holding a position. Marcia Howard has resigned her position as a board member. Her VISTA position will be ending in August and she is at this time looking for full time employment. Wendy Johnson has expressed interest in serving on the HT board. Those members who were present that indicated a desire to return are; Jan Nettleton, Kris Engh, Jenny Erdmann, Becky Maki, Sydney Rydberg-Olson.
Good News: 10K is here. Discussion to begin on plans for its use
Has been tabled until the election of the new board members.
Discussion was had on the need to advertise the receipt of the 10K to our residents; Jenny will contact Lezlie to see if she would like contact the paper.
OCC Operation Community Connect in Pine City
Wendy has contacted Lakes and Pines to gain information on how other communities have successfully run this project. There was discussion on possible dates; October 14th, 26th or 28th. Wendy stated that there were a couple of churches interested in being the host site. Wendy will begin contacting some of our local groups to collaborate on this project and will form a sub-committee for this project. She will also contact Paula Hoffman from Pine Tech who has been instrumental in the Hinckley OCC project.
Forum with other Horizon Communities (Braham and Moose Lake)
Jenny will contact Moose Lake and Braham to begin discussion with other communities.
School Supply Drive (Kris/Jan)
Has been tentatively scheduled for September 1st at the Presbyterian Church (5:30 until 7:00). Jan and Kris indicated a need for volunteers and donations. Donations will be accepted at the Pregnancy Resource Center until September 1st, one hour prior to the event. Wendy and Nathan would like a flyer to present to civic groups, put into church bulletins, posting on the blogs as well as posting around town.
• U Lead Advisory Academy email sent by Bjorn, discussion was had on if the board would pay the fee for attendance. If there were an interested horizon participant further discussion would be needed.
• Voices of Rural Minnesota; Jennifer Peterson, Sydney Rydberg-Olson and Jennifer Erdmann attended this design team meeting in Brainerd. The group formed the program and its expectations of those who participated. Watch for more information from Monica @ the U of M. There will be an application to ensure a diverse group is part of the Voices of Rural Minnesota speaker’s bureau. The emphasis will be based on training for public speaking and how to effectively use media devices to ensure successful speaking engagements.
Blog Site Update: Jennifer was not present to report. If you have anything you’d like to post on the blog send to firstname.lastname@example.org.
With the receipt of the 10K, was the need for a bank account to be set up. Becky Maki indicated a desire to continue with the HT board and the group agreed that she would be a signer on the account. We do need to have 2 signers, the second signature will be obtained after the election is complete and we have our new board.
Next Meeting will be Monday, August 16th, 2010 at 5pm at the Chamber of Commerce office in the Pine City Government Center.
Meeting adjourned at 6:00 pm.