Purpose: Sustain the vision of building prosperity, reducing poverty – keep the “fire alive”- and coordinate Work Team activities in the community.
Vision: Welcome to Pine City where people live, work and play. Our beautiful city offers many recreational choices, community events and an active arts community. Youth are healthy, active and drug-free and a part of a positive multi-generational culture. Energy is renewable & sustainable. We welcome change that makes our community better and we welcome you to visit or stay and live here with us.
Present: Cyndy Cohen, Kris Engh, Marcia Howard, Lezlie Sauter, Becky Macki, Jennifer Peterson.
Absent: Kayla Defenbaugh, Jennifer Erdmann, Kathy Doenz, Jan Nettleton, Sydney Rydberg, Becky Schueller.
Our Fiscal Agent has still not been determined. Lakes & Pines Community Action Council, Inc. declined the proposal for them to be our fiscal agent at their board meeting on 1/25/10 with the suggestion to approach Pine County’s Health & Human Services to be the fiscal agent. Discussion was held regarding this amongst members present that we approach Evergreen Church again as well as the Pregnancy Resource Center. Mike Gainor from the Pioneer was present during this discussion and is going to put a discreet article in the paper regarding our lack of a fiscal agent and how this is thwarting our proposed actions within our work teams.
Americorps VISTA opportunity
Discussion was held regarding the Pine City Horizons Work Team submitting the Initial Inquiry to the Initiative Foundation by February 5th, 2010. Cyndy outlined what the VISTA person could do for the Horizons team and this included: developing an emergency loan program, build capacity to deal with homelessness & emergency housing, coordinate basic needs classes & conduct research on many of our long term goals. This position would be available at no cost for one year, but could last for three years with a slight cost each year after the first one. The Initial Inquiry is a two page application where the team would outline where the VISTA would be housed, who would be the supervisor and what the day to day operations would consist of. Shortly after submission of the Initial Inquiry, the Initiative Foundation would contact us regarding their decision and if we were successful, the full job description would be due March 5th, 2010. Cyndy proposed that we could share the VISTA person with the Braham and Moose Lake Horizons groups, and Kris mentioned that Jan had been interested in sharing the VISTA with the Pregnancy Resource Center, and the PRC could be the host site. Cyndy is going to contact the PC Horizon Work Team by January 28th, 2010 regarding Moose Lake & Braham’ interest in sharing the VISTA and then Marcia will send an email out to all members to vote on which avenue the PC Horizons Work Team would like to pursue: partner with Moose Lake & Braham or partner with the Pregnancy Resource Center. A vote was held at the meeting to proceed forward with this Initial Inquiry and Marcia & Lezlie will work together to get the Initial Inquiry completed by February 5th, 2010. Some discussion was held in regards to the supervisor of the VISTA. Cyndy suggested Becky Maki or else Jan & one of the co-chairs. Becky Maki feels that she may not have enough time with her current obligations to be able to provide good supervision to the VISTA.
Grants Initiative Foundation
Marcia emailed Cyndy information regarding a grant opportunity through the Initiative Foundation to help non-profits build capacity. Cyndy felt that is wasn’t a good fit for the stage that the Pine City Horizons Work Team is at right now.
Blog Site Update
Jennifer is back online and would love for people to tell her what to blog about, so please send her information on your work teams meetings, activities, etc. so she can post it on the blog. Marcia requested Jennifer to blog about the free financial class being offered on February 11th, 2010 from 9am to 11am at the Pine City Community Room.
Work Team Reports (Activity since last meeting)
• Everything Pine City: Lezlie reported that the Everything Pine City team is planning to host a networking event for the local organizations listed within the Information Guide to help improve the information that is portrayed within the guide and also to give the local organizations to network with each other. The team would like to provide appetizers at the event, and they are looking at hosting it at the Pine City Country Club on March 11th or March 25th, 2010 from 5:30 – 6:30 pm.
Cyndy reported that the program can provide a presentation that is called “Brain Gain” which shares research findings on social capacity, comparing the level of citizen involvement and the successfulness of a small town. This is a 2 hour presentation that would have to be held by the end of March and have at least 30 people in attendance to work. A suggestion was made to post this opportunity on the blog to gage interest in the program and to host the event during the day, over the lunch hour to maybe get more people to the event.
• Looking Forward – Youth: Cyndy has contacted the Youth Works Institute about providing afterschool program curriculum to this work team and possibly an intern to help with the start-up. The next work team meeting is Tuesday January 26, 2010 at 1:15 pm so Becky and Cyndy were going to try and coordinate.
• People Helping People: No team member was here to report (Kris had to leave early), however Cyndy stated that in February she would like this team to host a homelessness learning event to gather facts and figures to help form a task force around the shelter idea.
• Pine City Prospers: Cyndy requested that this group notify her of their next meeting so she can organize a conference call to connect the resources with the work team. Marcia indicated that the next meeting was scheduled for Thursday February 4th, 2010 at 6 pm at the Pizza Pub. Marcia and Cyndy were going to secure the conference room at Pine Tech for a quieter atmosphere during the conference call.
**Tabled for the next meeting (entire agenda was not covered due to time constraints):
• Learning About… Strategic Planning Solutions
• Approval of December Meeting Minutes
• Planning of Cluster Event in March (Pine City host Braham & Moose Lake)
Next Meeting Monday February 15th, 2010 at 5pm and due to the holiday, the meeting will be held at the 4-Staffing Conference Room.